International exhibition "Modernism for the Future 360/365"
Five partners from modernist cities - Kaunas, Lviv, Brno, Kortrijk and Tel Aviv over recent years have undertaken extremely rich and extraordinary journey. The result of this international collaboration is an exhibition of artworks filled with hundreds of personal stories about the spectacular growth of society in the last century, and the characterful architecture that reflects it, invites to celebrate Modernism and the European Capital of Culture year in Kaunas.
The exhibition creates a coherent narrative about modernist architecture as a phenomenon and the cities of Kaunas, Lviv, Brno, Kortrijk and Tel Aviv represents this topic from the perspectives of the Middle East, Central and Eastern Europe and beyond. Also multiple experiences, each reflecting a narrative about the distinct layer of modernist architecture and its characteristics, including authentic testimonies of local residents is analysed and the potential of modernist architecture is discussed. In the exhibition the number 360 symbolises all possible perspectives on Modernism: cultural, political, economic, and so on. Meanwhile, the number 365 refers to our attention to everyday heritage. 26 artists of the exhibition from Kaunas, Lviv, Brno, Kortrijk and Tel Aviv drew an inspiration from churches, museums as well as from residential buildings of the Modernist period and created 18 projects interpreting their history and value today.
It is no coincidence that the exhibition is presented in the Kaunas Central Post Office, which symbolises the contradictory positions of modernism in contemporary society. The project team is grateful for the opportunity to participate in this dialogue and invites to explore and reflect on other stories of a similar and more successful fate.
II, III, V, VI, VII 10:00–18:00
IV 11:00–19:00 val.
Tickets are for one-time visit, but they can be used at any time till 10th April.
For more information:
869095574 or https://bit.ly/3IFr81q
- Kaunas – European Capital of Culture 2022, Lithuania
- Cultural Strategy Institute, Lviv, Ukraine
- Interdisciplinary arts centre Vaizard, z.ú. / INDUSTRA, Brno, Czech Republic Intercommunale Leiedal, Kortrijk, Belgium
- The White City Center – Liebling House
- Lithuanian Culture Institute
- Embassy of the Republic of Lithuania to the State of Israel
- Kaunas Garrison Officers’ Club
- 9th Fort of the Kaunas Fortress
- Kaunas Picture Gallery (M. K. Čiurlionis National Art Museum)
- Subjective Editions
- Architecture and Urbanism Research Centre of Kaunas University of Technology
- The Office of the Chief Archivist of Lithuania
- UAB Kautra
- The Association of Trade Unions of the Lviv region
- Urban Media Archive (Lviv)
- The Institute for Contemporary Art (Lviv)
- BUDA Arts Centre (Kortrijk)
- Parish Sint-Rochus
- City of Kortrijk
- Office KE, Wervik
- City of Wervik
- Be-Part, Platform for contemporary visual art in South-West-Flanders
- City of Waregem
- Sint-Pauluscollege, Wevelgem
- Municipality of Wevelgem
- BAM - Brno Architectural Manual
- No More ATLAS Bar